The JBL SCS 8 is a coaxial-driver, 2-way, full-range cinema surround loudspeaker ideal for multi-channel surround formats and is designed for overhead installation as well as for standard on-wall installations.
JBL's SCS 8 is comprised of a high-power coaxial 200 mm (8 in) low frequency driver and 25 mm (1 in) high frequency compression driver. The co-axial design utilizes a unique tapered pole-piece design and transitions to the cone of the low frequency driver as a large diameter pattern control horn for the high frequencies, both eliminating high-frequency beaming and extending pattern control to the lowest possible frequencies. The result is a coaxial speaker with wide, extremely consistent 120° coverage on a broadband basis.
Component features include a Kevlar-reinforced low-frequency cone for reliability, well-damped surround edge for smooth frequency response, high-temperature voice coil and a reduced distortion design through saturated-gap magnet geometry. The high-frequency compression driver features a patented design, high-temperature polymer diaphragm, and fluid cooling for high output levels with low distortion. The enclosure is constructed of thick, ABS plus fiberglass and is heavily braced to maximize low-frequency performance. A heavy-duty zinc-rich U-type mounting bracket is included.
- 250 Watt power handling (average continuous pink noise) with high sensitivity provides high SPL capability.
- Consistent 120° x 120° broadband pattern control
- Extraordinary clarity cinema surround with extended frequency response for special effects
- 200 mm (8 in) woofer with Kevlar-reinforced cone and 50 mm (2 in) voice coil.
- 25 mm (1 in) exit compression driver with unique patented design and high temperature polymer diaphragm.
- 70 Hz – 20 kHz frequency response
- High-power passive crossover network
- Overload protection
- Includes U-bracket (steel)
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 70 Hz – 20 kHz
- Frequency Response (±3 dB): 90 Hz – 20 kHz
- Coverage Pattern: 120° x 120°
- Directivity Factor (Q): 8.1 (1 k – 16 kHz)
- Directivity Index (DI): 8.4 dB (1 k – 16 kHz)
- Long-Term System Power Rating (IEC): 250 W 2 hrs. 200 W 100 hrs.
- Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 94 dB (Ave. 90 Hz – 20 kHz)
- Maximum SPL: 118 dB (peaks of 124 dB) @ 1m
- Crossover Network: 2.1 kHz, 3rd order (18 dB/oct) high-pass plus conjugate to HF, 2nd order low-pass to LF
- Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
- Low Frequency Driver: Kevlar-reinforced cone with weather treatment, 50 mm (2 in) voice coil.
- High Frequency Driver: 25 mm (1 in) diaphragm and voice coil diameter, high temperature polymer diaphragm, patented design, fluid cooling.
- HF Driver Protection: Minimum audibility SonicGuard™ HF overload protection
- Enclosure: ABS with Glass enclosure, heavily braced
- Attachment: Two M10 points for included U-bracket.
- M6 secondary safety attachment point on back panel
- Grille: Corrosion-resistant zinc-rich steel grille.
- Input Connection:
- CE-compliant covered barrier strip terminals
- Barrier terminals accept up to 9 mm outside 4 mm inside open lug (#6, #8 or #10) plus bare wire up to 2.5 mm2 (12 AWG) wire or spade lugs.
- 300 x 300 x 305 mm (11.8 x 11.8 x 12.0 in)
- Cabinet: 359 mm (14.2 in), including bracket extending to back
- Colors: Black
- Net Weight: 8.2 kg (18 lb), 10.0 kg (22.0 lb) with U-Bracket
- Shipping Weight: 11.4 kg (25.0 lb)